The Kansas City Public Schools (KCPS), Heart to Heart International and a host of community partners will provide backpacks filled with school supplies and a personal care kit to nearly 10,000 elementary school students on the first day of the 2012-2013 school year.
Back to School, Back to Health will set the tone for the upcoming school year by ensuring that every student in kindergarten through grade 6 has the tools to succeed from day one both academically and health-wise. Each K-6 grade student will receive a FREE backpack filled with school supplies and a personal hygiene kit.
Community partners are providing the backpacks and supplies as a direct gift to students. Volunteers from those organizations, along with Superintendent R. Stephen Green and Heart to Heart CEO Andre’ T. Butler, will hand-deliver the gifts to students personally - classroom-to-classroom – on the first day of school.
Each new backpack will contain:
- One pair of blunt scissors
- One 12-inch ruler with metric marking
- 12 new #2 lead pencils with erasers
- Two pens
- One large eraser
- One glue stick
- One box of 24 crayons
- One package of colored pencils
- One pencil sharpener
- One package of notebook paper
- One composition book or spiral notebook
- Three folders with inside pockets
- One zippered pencil bag
- One Heart to Heart Care Kit containing:
- One new hand towel
- One new washcloth
- One wide-tooth comb
- One 15 oz. bottle of shampoo
- One new individually wrapped toothbrush
- One 4-6 oz. tube of toothpaste
- One individually wrapped bath-size bar of soap
- Ten (10) adhesive bandages
Parents, the items that will be donated are marked on the district supply lists for your convenience. Every kindergarten through grade 6 student will receive those supplies on the first day of school. Please note that pre-kindergarten students and students in grades 7-12 will not receive supplies.